Monday, May 26, 2008

Am I ready for a D.C. summer?

Some time back, there was a poll question in the Washington Post. Should metro make underground cell reception available. My knee-jerk reaction was, "Yes! Why wouldn't they?" I now know the answer. As a person who rides metro everyday, I have come to appreciate its quickness and its relative peacefulness (compared to the El in Chicago). In my mind, I thought yes, because I want to be able to reach someone if I am running late for work. On Friday, it became abundantly clear that some people would abuse this cell phone reception and turn the metro train into the level of hell that Dante forgot. These people are the D.C. summer interns. Riding on the metro with a Capitol Hill intern loudly blabbing away on her cell phone became the single most annoying thing I have experienced on Metro since August. And this says a lot considering I have seen all out brawls, I have been followed off the train and onto another train by a guy trying to flirt with me, I have been squashed in the doors and I have been subjected to the most obnoxious ipod play lists. Every other word was like, yeah, oh, ugh, blah, blah, blah. On top of that I had to listen to her blab about a hot guy at the office, her study abroad trip to Prague, and her opinions on D.C. so far. She even had a long conversation about what she buys with her dad's credit card. She was just in her own little world and was speaking so loudly that about six people around her were starting to get pretty mad. At one point we all jumped when she responded loudly with an, "Oh my god!" to something her friend said. After that, I couldn't hold it in. I just burst out laughing. She was sitting right next to me, and I just started laughing at her. The fabulous part is that the other people heard me, knew what I was laughing at, and joined in. The intern, was clueless. The bottom line is...

No comments: