Thursday, August 28, 2008

I have new students...ready or not

The first days have passed and I am trying to stay as calm as possible to keep my classroom as calm as possible.

One thing is wonderfully different, when I call out a student's name, a look of fear wipes across his or her face. Maybe not fear in all of them, but at least a look of nervousness. I have done NOTHING to make them fear me either. It is bizarre. Many of them know me from being third graders at my school and I haven't even raised my voice once. I have literally no idea why they are afraid. In fact, I even smile and laugh with them. I'm sure its just the honeymoon period, but this NEVER happened in my old classroom, not even during the honeymoon period. Or maybe I have perfected my Teacher Look. After all, I do have the wrinkles as proof.

Some students are already asserting themselves as the attention seekers.

No comments: