Monday, December 20, 2010

Ulm, Germany

We had a generous invitation to visit another prosecutor's office.  This time business brought us to Ulm.  This city is right on the border between Wurtenburg and Bayern and has its other half, Neu Ulm (New Ulm), located across the Danube River. 
"The best thing about New Ulm is the view of Ulm."

Muenster.  The husband climbed 768 steps to the top.  I did not.
The prosecutor who hosted us went out of his way to show us a good time in his city.  This includes setting up school visits for me during the day (his wife is a teacher), taking us out to lunch every day, having us over to his place for dinner and drinks, taking us on a walking tour, arranging a private brewery tour for us, and inviting us along to an art show.  He and his wife were amazing hosts!

Modeling a neat  invention created created by one clever Ulmer.  It is a light-weight, portable bench that can be carried through museums so that you always have a seat.

Hog House.

Walking tour of the Fishermans Quarter.

Ulmer Spitz.  The Berliner Bear of Ulm.  We only understood half of the story here.  Our vocab is quite limited when it comes to understanding legends about sparrows.

Super dark picture of us with the famous Shiefes Haus (Crooked House).

Flussiges Gold (Liquid Gold) Brewery.  They need a yellow brick road. 

Smelling the hops and malts on our tour.

My dream came true!  I have now had Keller Bier direct from the vat.

Our guide giving us a taste of ice cold liquid gold straight from the source.

Don't worry.  My hair was not bottled with any of the beer.

Machine dedicated to dumping things out of the recycled bottles before cleaning.

Machine dedicated to peeling the labels off of recycled bottles.
Sadly, I do not have any pictures of me at the school with the kiddos.  This is really too bad.  I especially like this one boy who I quickly learned was the naughtiest one in the class.  What can I say?  I am a sucker for the bad kids.  I sat by him both days and he was on his best behavior trying to impress the American visitor. 

The teacher uses a +/- system to grade the students on behavior.  This favorite little boy of mine usually gets a minus.  On both days that I was present, he got a plus!  He was so excited for himself and I celebrated with him.  His teacher joked that she needed a picture of me to show him whenever he starts acting up in class.

No comments: