Wednesday, July 9, 2008

I'm Back!

I am back from Minnesota and no longer consider myself a teacher (at least for the next 6 weeks)! My summer goal is to act a little more my age, which according to my boy means less bitchy and lazy. What can I say, working myself to the bone for disrespectful little nine-year-old monsters made me a little bitchy and lazy at home. I am trying to avoid turning a "hard-24" in October. People who know me and watch Law and Order understand this joke. Through out my visit I came to some important conclusions. The brief low-down:

1) Toe nail art can never be classy, only cheesy. I got talked into it and asked for one simple white flower on my dark pink toe nails. I thought the contrast would look very summery. The result looked like a tropical rain forest on my toe, with glitter.

2) Puppy sitting a rowdy puppy with a broken leg for two days only confirms my feelings about not having children any time soon. The puppy is possibly one of the cutest I have ever seen (pictures to come), but the only way he would sit still is if I walked him around, holding him. After doing this for hours at a time, I was getting flashes of what it would be like to have a colicky baby.


The Colicky Puppy in his cast with his momma.

The Colicky Puppy's cute, cute face.

3) At a wonderful dinner at the restaurant Oceanaire, I realized it is VERY difficult to get the Minnesota out of some one's wardrobe, mine still included as some can attest. I do however, try. I wore a simple dress from Banana Republic and simple pair of gold heels and looked ridiculously over-dressed compared to my family who swore they were dressing up too. Turns out our ideas of dressing up are--ahem--different. My outfit is below


4) Fresh Midwestern corn on the cob is unbeatable! I have never had corn on the cob here that is even half as good. I think I could make a fortune driving Midwestern corn to the east coast and then .driving Maryland crab to the Midwest on the return trip.

Upon my return to D.C. I was in desperate need for a vacation from my vacation (a concept that was mocked when I told the boy). Alas, it would have to wait because the boy's family was in town. He has two brothers that are just a few years younger than my parents so I view these brothers as his fathers. The brother who was visiting has three kids, a lovely little diva who is going into the eighth grade but to her disdain still looks like a sixth grader. Let's just say she hasn't really developed all of the way yet. Her father should just count his blessings because when she does develop, he will have to fight the boys off of her with a stick! A 10 year old boy who just finished fourth grade--I was having flashbacks to my classroom watching the way he reacts to things. And last but not least, the little cutie boy who just finished second grade. I am going to have to post pictures of all of these lovely little ones once I get my digital camera up and running. I was the perfect devoted girlfriend the whole time as I walked my ass off in D.C. in near 100 degree weather seeing the things I have already seen. There are many stories to be told about their visit and I will post two of them as separate posts so they don't get lost in this giant post.

After catching up on Ms. Mindless's blog, celebrity gossip, the Food Network, Law and Order, and napping with my dog, I am finally starting to feel a little bit better and more relaxed. However, I am still not bored enough to clean. I have promised the boy that I would (Ms. Mindless and I really are the same person sometimes) and I have yet to really truly make good on that promise. I manage to survive the studio apartment and avoid his wrath by making him dinners every night and packing him a lunch every day. I have taken before pictures of the apartment and will post them with the after pictures once the apartment gets there.
Please note: I have to decided to adopt a habit from my favorite blogger and call my law school wonder boyfriend, the boy. This makes writing about him way easier.

No comments: