Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Prague, Czech Republic

If I lived in Prague, I would be so fit and thin because it is the most beautiful city for wandering around and walking.  Even in the rain, I loved walking in this city.  Many parts of Prague look untouched. For playing such a central role in events near the end of WWII, it seems to have largely escaped the kind of bombings that led to total destruction in other European cities.
View of the inner, old city from the outside.  To the left you see Charles Bridge.

Me with Charles Bridge in the background.

Sight-seeing in a suit.  One of the drawbacks of traveling for work.


Petting a cute dog statue on Charles Bridge.

Arial view of the city from Prague Castle.  We took quite the hike up with two children, both under 5.

It was quite the feat as it was also raining.
The Jewish Quarter in Prague has a haunting WWII history. It was left relatively untouched by the occupying Nazis and many synagogues were left standing because Hitler intended for it to serve as a monument to the extinguished Jewish race.  Disturbing.

The Old-New Synagogue

My best friend hugging the corner of the oldest, active synagogue in Europe.

Pretty, gabled houses in the Jewish Quarter

Maisel Synagogue, Hitler's intended "Museum to the Extinct Race"

This is what I get for asking my five-year old best friend to pose in front of a serious building.
"Okay now, that was funny, but give me a nice face."

With my serious tone now, "This is the last one I'll take so no more goofy faces."

I need to read about this sculpture outside of the Spanish Synagogue  becuase I only see one thing when I look at it, and it isn't appropriate.
Thank you to fellowship friends for many of the photos you see here.  We temporarily misplaced our camera so some of the photos are directly from their facebook accounts.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

It's something about Kafka. See photo from 2007:
http://picasaweb.google.com/donny.copeland/Prague#5091338904450529906