Sunday, September 7, 2008

My Room is Now Inclusion

At the beginning of the school year I was told that my classroom was chosen among the three fourth grade classrooms to be the Special Education (SPED) Inclusion room. If you aren't familiar with SPED language, inclusion means that students with an Individualized Education Plan (IEP) are kept in a regular education classroom and the Special Education Teacher periodically comes in the room rather than the student being pulled out into a resource room.

So far, the only thing that has frustrated me about this situation is the fact that the SPED teacher comes into my room and speaks in a normal voice with the SPED students. This means when she is in my room I am competing with her voice and the other students are distracted and think it is okay to talk. Why can't she just whisper?

No comments: