Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Cologne, Germany

The second stop on our mini trip was Cologne (Köln).  Disappointingly, I did not smell the Eau de Cologne (Kölnisch Wasser) 4711. I was still sick and this time, without my sicky partner.  The husband had to return back to Berlin to continue work in his fellowship, which means we were both alone in our sickness and our poor friend had to put up with me all sick and whiney.  Luckily, he did a great job tolerating me and didn't even give me a guilt trip when I insisted on once again curling up in bed in the hostel. He simply went and explored on his own while I rested and then we met up for dinner.  Not many travel partners would do this so I was truly grateful and lucky. 

After arriving during lunch, we went to a beer house in the neighborhood of the Koln Cathedral.  Here great friend D, once again got to indulge in the local beer.  This time Kölsch.  Since this trip I have had Kölsch and not only is it delicious, but it is also super fun to drink because the waiter keeps bringing you these small glasses one after the other until you ask him to stop.  I almost prefer it to the big huge beer mugs because it is like a fresh cool treat with each glass you get and you can drink the perfect amount for yourself without feeling wasteful or binge drinking. 


A beer wheel of deliciousness.  This is a perfect mix of trashy and classy in beer and I approve!

The Cologne Cathedral where we listened to an unexpected organ concert for about 15 minutes.  At first it was a glorious little treat since I wasn't well enough to be walking around anyway.  We left when the music started to sound like something coming from an UFO.  I think they were trying out some "modern" pieces and my opinion was they didn't work.  Unless you count work as successfully creeping me out enough to leave.

Me out front as it was getting dark.  We couldn't get the light right despite many attempts.  Again, I am just about the world's worst photographer.

I was sick, but not too sick to leave a giant icecream alone.  It is begging to be messed with and I'm sure the way I am treating it is nice compared to others.

A cute street that again chose not to photograph itself well.

Finally, here is some professional's work of the Cologne that I hope to see again in the future.  Luckily I will have that opportunity on the same trip that will also bring us back to Hamburg in January.

No comments: