Sunday, October 24, 2010

Pumpkin Birthday

Yesterday was my birthday. After letting me sleep in late, the husband made me breakfast.  As we sat down to eat, he claimed he forgot something in the kitchen and went back to get it.  He came back out with my birthday present, a new guitar.  I don't play, yet.  However, I do have an unprecedented amount of time on my hands these days.
Meet my new hobby.  Am I even holding it correctly?

After breakfast we went out to a neighboring city for my dream activity:  the world's (or so they claim) largest pumpkin festival.  Pumpkin is one of my favorite things and this festival on the grounds of Blühendes Barock Palace (an old summer residence of the King of Wurtemburg) had it all, including Pumpkin gastronomy.

Front of the palace

Victory!  Now we know we're in the right place.


We still had to find our way through the huge grounds to the rest of the pumpkins.  Good thing we know the German word for pumpkin is Kurbis.
 
Getting closer.

Finally we find the good stuff.  The first place pumpking weighed over 600 Kg.  And was German.

It was love at first sight.

Frog Prince pumpking art.  It was also a working fountain.

A few of the over 400 different pumpkin varities on display. 

Nightmare Before Christmas Pumpkin.

True Blood Season 2 Pumpkin.

Poor mouse pumpkin doesn't stand a chance.

Happy Ending!  The mouse gets the cheese.

These scared me for a second until I realized what they were.  More crazy pumpkins.

Swiming with Whale Pumpkin.

Pumpkin rice.

Me with our pumpkin themed spoils.  The soup was the best!

So good that my jacket was trying to save some for later.

Pumpkin Sekt.

Me pinching the pumpkin butt.

The husband giving the pumpkin butt the credit card.  Cruel.

Swimming in a sea of pumpkin fish.

Pumpkipus.
At the entrance of Fairlytale Land.

Boat ride around Fairytale Land.

Breaking all the rules by going without accompanying a small child.

Feeding leaves to the goats.

At work.  He makes delicious pumpkin seeds too.

Can I do it?  Can I make Pumking Aurora a reality?

The final product.

Pumpking Aurora lives!  She sure is cuter in person though.

No comments: